Listen now!
Other formats
Now Playing

Now Playing:

  • WRSU-FM

Up Next:

About Rutgers Radio

Founded in 1948, WRSU-FM is one of the oldest college radio stations in the nation. Since its inception as WRSU-AM, the station has evolved through many styles, including oldies, top 40, and its transition in the 1980s, to the variety of sounds it is renowned for today. WRSU on-air personalities range from first-semester Rutgers freshmen to longtime alumni and community members, and all are engaged in the long-standing WRSU tradition of designing their own playlists. WRSU boasts many shows featuring specialty programming, with Sunday devoted primarily to the sounds of world music. The station broadcasts all Rutgers football and basketball games from around the country, and is the flagship radio station of the Rutgers Womens’ Basketball team. WRSU news broadcasts a variety of news updates and issues talk shows, sending student reporters into the streets for original stories.

The station is a non-commercial, non-profit radio station and is student-managed under the guidance of a faculty broadcast administrator. Station management is governed by the WRSU Radio Council, an oversight board consisting of station members, Rutgers professors and alumni, and local broadcast professionals.

The History of Rutgers Radio

WRSU-FM went on the air on Jan 27, 1974 at 88.7 Mhz with an effective radiated power of 1350 watts. WRSU-AM and FM were broadcast simultaneously with different programming until 1976. WRSU can be heard about 15 to 20 miles north and over 20 miles south of New Brunswick, licensed 24 hours a day.

WRSU-AM went on the air on April 26, 1948 as an AM carrier current station that eventually settled on 680 AM. Initially, WRSU could only be projected to the dorms or very close to the College Avenue and Douglass campuses. Our first permanent studios were located at 12 College Avenue in a building that currently serves as the Bildner Center on Jewish Life. WRSU finally moved to its current facilities in 1971 at 126 College Avenue when the Rutgers Student Center was completed.